Baby Boomers – Are you one of the baby boomers born between 1946 and 1964?
Did you know that the term ‘baby boomer’ related to persons born in Australia, United Kingdom, Canada and the United States. After WW2 these countries experienced a baby boom. Nowadays, this term is used for all countries worldwide.
In April 2014 the number of baby boomers in the USA were estimated to be 76.4 million. In Australia the figure is around 5.5 million, 10 million in Canada and 7.6 million in the UK.
In 2009 KPMG conducted a survey of 232 Monash Residents in Victoria, Monash contains the 6th largest concentration of baby boomers in Victoria. The suburb of Monash and its baby boomers are aligned with the demographics of Sydney region Ku-ring-gai and Redland in Brisbane.
Quoting from the report on ‘What Boomers Want’ in the Executive Summary
- wellbeing – includes health and recreational activities
- finances – concerns about being able to live the lifestyle they aspire to and which has been limited by the Global Financial Crisis
- engagement – can include part time employment but not in a restrictive way; this also includes access to meaningful volunteering
- housing – affordable housing for those without a home and home and garden maintenance for those with a home and who very much intend ageing-in-place
- family and social connection – boomers are being sandwiched by frail parents (in theirs 80s and 90s) and demanding Generation Y children in their 20s and 30s who want child minding services
Does this sound like you?
Are you interested in travelling?
Do you have a bucket list? Does this bucket list start at your retirement age?
What if you could bring your retirement forward? What if you could start ticking destinations off your bucket list?
What fears would you have if you left the corporate treadmill and headed off for longer term travel?
What is stopping you?
Are you aware that other baby boomers around the world are looking at retiring in low cost countries, travelling longer term, volunteering and enjoying taking courses in countries around the world on all sorts of subjects. They are leaving the corporate world early and transitioning to retirement. We are definitely fitter and take our health seriously. We are tech savvy and enjoy the latest gadgets. Now is the time for us all to take off and travel, to enjoy those places on our bucket list whilst we are still young and before our children have their own children and need our help.
We will be addressing many issues in our website and on our posts in regards to baby boomers, how you can downsize, how to travel longer term, how to travel safely and how to budget.
If you need assistance in travel planning contact us, we have had many years of experience in this field and we can advise you on your travel plans. We understand there is so much out there on the internet and that it can be very confusing when researching your next trip.
We would love to hear from you if you have any questions. Check out where we currently are and if you are in the area contact us and lets meet up for a chat.